Today I toured SDCCS. Located in Linda Vista. It took me about 7 minutes at 8:30 am via the 805. My first impression was good. I liked the size and it was secure from the outside. We were greeted warmly by the hostess(s) and Principal Wendy. Principal Wendy answered any questions we had. I asked her about why SDCCS was on the Improvement Plan for not meeting NCLB standards. Her answer was a little vague and incomprehensible to me. In a nut shell she said all school are in this status until it "gets renewed" and then the slate is cleared??? I guess I will have to look more into this.
Anyway, everyone I came into contact with was delightful. We first visited the Art studio. It is apparent that this school is VERY art orientated! The Kinder garden classes were AWESOME! I loved both teachers and the class was multi-aged! (yeah). This means all ages mix and mingle. I am sure there is a technical word. The playground had a vegetable garden, grass, swings, CHICKENS!, and everything was painted by the students. I loved the kindergarten. LOVED!
We then went to the elementary area. 1st and 2nd grades are integrated and flow through 4 different class rooms to do different subjects to help the kids stay interested and prevent boredom.
3rd and 4th also were integrated.
We strolled by the middle school aged areas and all seemed calm and the kids all worked in groups. No lined up desks.
The last stop we made was the auditorium where the 6-7th graders were doing ballroom dance. NOW, if you EVER are having a bad day and you need to be uplifted this was the place to be. OMG- how adorable. We were all practically in tears watching this. ha ha. I am such a sap!
general info: School starts at 8:30-3:00. No uniforms. 24 kids in Kinder-2, 26 thereafter. Lots of parental involvement, Lotto held in February, numbers picked by 4 fifth graders.
All in all impression- LIKE it A LOT!
I signed my son up for the lotto.
What I saw:
color, color, color, diversity, nature, compost, chickens, colors, dancing, playing,togetherness, smalls, smiles, happy, small, activity, outdoors, openness, love, colors, casual.
What I like:
everything except, no uniform. But, maybe uniforms would not be right for such a carefree mellow school.
I give this school 8 out of 10
I wish I would have taken more photos. Next school I will.
Amelia

Geez....I want to go there! This does sound lovely. Don't forget to try to pop in for surprise visits on these schools too.
ReplyDelete