Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Museum School

I was really anxious to get to my tour this morning and excited that 3 of my friends would be touring too!  The director "Phil" was very sweet and courteous when I walked in.  At first glance the school is a typical city school.  This makes it pretty cool.  Instantly i was wondering where my kids would run.  Anyway,  the first hour was a discussion of the school and curriculum done by Phil, now director (previous teacher).  He was very proud of the school and that showed.  I saw lots of colors and children freely walking to and from the bathroom and classes.

We first saw the kindergarten.  My first impression was that the class was not special.  I didn't find it special.  Just...a class.  I am still actually wondering how these teachers keep 26 students seated.  I can't keep 2 seated. HA HA.  They were working on math.  They then switched to phonics which the kids seemed to love.  The kinder teach had a nice sense of humor.  The class was cluttered.  Then they retreated in 2 separate groups for music and legos.  We had some more discussion time and then finished with touring all the classes.

There is a lack of space.  It seemed very disorganized.

I like the philosophy (working projects).  I like the different programs like music, gamelan , sewing, projects, the art room, drama etc etc..

What I saw: colors, relaxed, friendly, small, happy kids, focused kids .

What I liked: The art, music, Phil, sewing, dance, drama

What I don't like: disorder, no uniforms, very small facility

My emotions are flying high right now.   I know so many people who love it.

Overall summery: I am not doing cartwheels over the school.

6 out of a 10

No comments:

Post a Comment